Wrongful Termination Attorneys in Santa Ana
Were You Recently Fired? At-Will Might Not Explain It.
At-will employment is a matter of fact for all but one state in the union, and it’s not California. Under this widely held doctrine, it’s generally understood that employers can fire any employee for any reason or no reason at all. While that’s not an inaccurate explanation of at-will employment, it’s an incomplete one. Under no circumstances can an employee be fired for an illegal reason – at-will or not.
If you believe you were wrongfully terminated, The Gould Law Firm is here for you. Since 1995, we’ve taken legal action against companies for our clients with all sorts of employment rights violation claims. Those we’ve worked with the most over the years have been union employees and government workers for school districts, cities, the State of California, the federal government, and Indian casino employees.
What Is an Illegal Reason to Fire Someone?
At the heart of most wrongful termination lawsuits is discrimination or retaliation. While wrongful termination isn’t totally defined as firing someone for either or both of these reasons, they do make up the majority of cases we see in employment law.
Examples of illegal firings can appear as the following:
- Terminating an employee who reported sexual harassment
- Layoffs that only affect people of a particular protected class (age, sex, gender identity, disability status, race, religion, etc.)
- Firing an employee who requests reasonable accommodations for their disability
- Firing an employee because he or she is “too old” for their job
- Termination as punishment for demanding compensation for unpaid overtime hours
- Termination as a result of bringing up concerns about a possible misclassification
1,000,000 Auto Parts Store Violating Labor Laws
$325,000 Bottling Company Not Paying Overtime
$300,000 County Employee Harassed by Supervisor
$110,000 Disability Discrimination Claim
$2,000,000 Discrimination by Security Guard Company
$120,000 Employee Sexually Harassed by Boss